80 Percent Discipline, 20 Percent Fun

Scarlett Johansson, Blake Lively and Hugh Jackman get satisfaction from Don Saladino's winning dietary formula.
@wholelivinglauren’s energy-packed chia seed popsicles with mango, kiwi, and coconut

By Joanna Powell

When Amagansett denizen Scarlett Johansson needs to rev up her metabolism and fine-tune her diet, she turns to Don Saladino. Saladino, the owner of NYC’s Drive495 Fitness, has also chiseled the likes of Blake Lively and Hugh Jackman. He takes an 80/20 approach to nutrition, advising clients to eat healthfully (no dairy, no gluten, no white sugar) 80 percent of the time and then nosh as they wish the other 20 percent. To keep excess in check when escaping to the East End, he suggests front-loading nutritional calories at breakfast and lunch and energizing snacks, some for the cooler, (grass-fed jerky, protein shakes, crudité, chia seed popsicles) for beach or other activities. “A lot of the damage takes place at night,” he notes. “There are barbecues, cocktails. You’re setting yourself up for disaster if you try to eat low-cal all day and are famished by evening.” Plan ahead, he says, and enjoy a drink or two, even a burger—preferably sans bun. “There is a way to have your cake and eat it too. You just can’t eat all of the cake.”